Walking into a gym for the first time can be an intimidating experience. Whether you decided to join because your doctor recommended it, your friend has been begging you to come check it out or you simply decided it was time to make some healthy lifestyle changes, you may be a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing. We know, we have all been there.
One of the first things you should do as a new member (and especially if you are new to this whole fitness thing in general), is schedule your orientation session with one of our certified personal trainers. Personal trainers are a great resource to help you set your goals, answer your questions and most importantly, make sure you are safe during your workouts. Everyone has different needs and even workouts that they like to do at the gym, a trainer can help you pinpoint where you will be the most successful.
Meet our personal trainers:
Now you may be saying, “I just want to get healthy. I have no idea where to start.” Ask yourself, what do you like to do outside of the gym? What activities do you find you are drawn to? There are group fitness classes, small group trainings and even workouts you can do on your own that you will find enjoyable (yes, we said “enjoyable”!). When you enjoy your workouts you will find it is easy to stick with it long term and you will reach your goals sooner. Maybe you enjoy dancing. Stop in to an Oula or Zumba class sometime! Is there a particular event you want to participate in, but feel like you need to gain some strength? A Les Mills BodyPump class may be just what you are looking for. Our personal trainers and staff can help you find group fitness classes that will fit your needs. Whatever you decide to try, be patient with yourself. You have taken the first step and often that is the hardest part!
“But I can’t keep up in a class. Everyone else knows what they are doing!” Yep, we hear that a lot. While group fitness is not for everyone, it is a great way to get connected with other members who will help you stay motivated. Remember, everyone in that class had a first day and felt the same way, even the instructors! There are some tips that will make your experience easier and more rewarding.
1. Check out our class descriptions and videos online so you can get an idea about the different class offerings at Endurance Fitness.
2. Arrive a few minutes early. Take a minute to introduce yourself to the instructor and let them know you are new.
3. Ask questions! Instructors and even members will be excited to help you. Our instructors are highly trained and passionate about the classes they teach. They want you to succeed and have fun while you are doing it!
4. Don’t get discouraged if you feel like you are struggling. It usually takes a few class sessions to get the hang of the terminology and the moves. Each time you take a class, you will learn what to expect and it will get easier.
5. Listen to your body! We highly recommend following the Les Mills SmartStart program. Attend a class for the first 4-5 tracks (songs). That will give you a good idea of what to expect in class. If your body is telling you that is enough for the day, you are welcome to step out of class. Maybe in the next week or so, try adding a couple more tracks. Keep doing that and soon you will be completing the entire class!
More about group fitness:
Starting a new fitness routine can be hard, but it is also very rewarding. First think about why you are starting this journey and what are your goals. Then schedule your orientation session with one of our personal trainers to learn about the equipment, figure out any classes that you would like to try and to get the best start possible. Don’t be intimidated to try something new. You may just find that you are a really good dancer, you look forward to the relaxation of a yoga class or that you are stronger than you thought in a Les Mills BodyPump class. However you choose to start, we will be there to support you and cheer you on!
~The Endurance Fitness Team